Have you watched the new documentary on HBO – Don’t Divorce Me! If you haven’t already done so, I strongly suggest you do.
This is the most incredible program providing a voice to children of divorce. They share their do’s and don’ts of what their parents are doing right and wrong throughout the divorce process and beyond. The important tips they share are:
- Don’t use your kids as messengers
- Let them know that the divorce isn’t there fault
- Don’t fight
- Love your children (too much)
- They want to spend time with both mom and dad
- Keep the kids out of the middle
- Try to make sure that your parents get both kids kind of equally
- Don’t ask me to spy
These kids are smart are tell parents in such a powerful way what they could be doing better. Children are the ones that live out the divorce…..so let’s give our children the best chances and listen to their message.
If you’re having trouble coping emotionally, understanding the importance of putting your children’s best interest first, healing through the divorce process for a happier, healthier future, then you will definitely want to check out The Smart Divorce ToolKit – a cost-effective and valuable divorce support resource.
I’ve written previous blog posts about The Children’s Best Interests. Check them out: