On this episode of The Smart Divorce with Deborah Moskovitch, our guest is Denise Whitehead, a lawyer with a Ph.D. in Family Relations & Human Development. She combines her legal and social science backgrounds and shares her important research on socio-legal practice and policy issues related to separation and divorce that affect all members of the family system – mothers, fathers and children.
Dr. Whitehead discusses her dissertation research that involved in-depth interviews with young adults who spent time in shared custody as children and examined their perspectives on transitions, relationships and fairness. The information is helpful on so many levels – but most importantly looks at what children really want, the outcomes and impact.
Topics in this program include:
- How shared custody is influencing parent child relationships
- Fairness in decision making
- What children want in a custody arrangement
- The importance of quality time with children
- Who “owns the time”
- ‘Managing-up:’ Young adult children who experienced shared custody reflect on their efforts to make family relations work
- Custodial decision-making and fairness: Young adults who lived in shared custody give their ‘expert’ opinions
- And so much more…….
This is a must listen show if you are thinking of, working through or implementing your parenting plan. Dr. Whitehead provides practical and creative thinking about parenting and the relationship with your children.
To listen click here